Sunday, January 8, 2012

The names have been removed to protect the innocent...

"BOURGEOIS!"  That's how the night started.  An older woman decides it would be nice to hang out with my girlfriends and I, has way too much cognac and coke, proceeds to damn my girlfriends and I to hell and calls us bourgeois.  
I'm not sure why, but the word "bourgeois" stung.  By all definition if someone calls you bourgeois that means you are putting on airs. Means you are laying claim to a degree of intellectual, financial, political sophistication.  In my mind, bourgeois is the opposite of progressive and there's where the bee sting came into place.  So I began to analyze the group of ladies I was with that night and access why Dr. Evil's mistress would think we were putting on airs. 
From her view, she could have only been using her eyes to define us as bourgeois. I can't lie, my girlfriends are successful middle class women.  All of them have secondary and/or post-graduate degrees, a societal definition of a "nice" car, attend Zumba classes regularly, belong to book clubs and have vision boards, but bourgeois? I can't see it.  These women are progressive.  We are all striving to be better than the generation before us and I won't apologize for that.  Call me bourgeois, but call me relentless, classy and educated.  Now how's that for bourgeois?!

No comments:

Post a Comment